Call Us Today for a FREE Consultation

Have You Filed Your Taxes???

Tax forms: When to start calling

Posted By

(Quote) “When all is lost, ask the I.R.S. – they’ll find something.” Douglas Horton


The income-tax filing season is up and running, with the Internal Revenue Service now accepting returns. If you’re concerned about tax-refund theft, or just want your refund faster, it pays to file as soon as you can. But you can’t do so if your W-2 and 1099 forms haven’t arrived yet in the mail.

That might take a couple more weeks. The IRS suggests contacting your employer, or other form providers such as brokerages and banks, by Feb. 1 if you’re still waiting. If needed forms still haven’t arrived or are incorrect as of Feb. 14, try calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for assistance. “After 14, the IRS will contact the employer/payer for you and request the missing or corrected form,” the agency said on its website.

The IRS also will send you Form 4852, which you may use to complete your return if you don’t receive missing or corrected forms in time to meet the normal mid-April deadline (April 18 this year). You also have the option of filing an extension, which provides roughly another six months to complete your return.

If contacting the IRS after Feb. 14 about a missing or inaccurate W-2 or 1040, you should have the name of the employer or other form provider, along with address, phone number and EIN or identification number for the employer or other payer. It also will help if you can estimate your wages, other earnings and taxes withheld, if any.


Richard Shaw-President

Shaw Financial Services

Leave a Reply